OMG... Goldfinches in my back garden

Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 992
I haven't seen goldfinches in my back London garden for 10 years at least. (Seen them at the front sporadically ie once every 2 years.)  Today I have seen 3. One was on my elderflower tree and the other 2 were picking at old webs on the house.

It just so happened I changed bird feed yesterday, coincidence, do you think? Or just my house getting more webby? :D

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,157
    edited 13 June
    We get quite a few goldies in the garden. They're lovely aren't they  :)
    we find that they don't know they're supposed to like nyger seed from special feeders and they ignore them, but they absolutely love sunflower hearts. 
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 992
    They are special, Dove, and seeing quite a few I am hoping that we will be seeing more. :) :) Maybe I will get some sunflower hearts, unfortunately not something I can grow in my little garden.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,278
    edited 13 June
    The last few years have seen an increase according to the RSPB. We too have had masses this year. They love the niger but when that’s finished happily move on to the peanuts 
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 992
    "They live the. Infer butnwhen that’s fjnished they happily go to the peanuts"

Not sure about this Lily...I don't speak Finnish :D
    My brother farms in Suffolk and he says he's counted upwards of 30 goldfinches on the feeding station in his garden at one time.  :). He also finds that the 'husk-less' sunflower hearts are most popular. 
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,635
    Goldfinches prefer sunflower hearts in my garden too. They will also work lavender seed heads if they are left on, as well as dandelion clocks, and teasels.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,125
    We get dozens of them here, and green finches. I don't put out bird seed but they seem very fond of thistles, dandelion heads and dock seeds. There's a lot of wild sorrel in the grass here too, the seeds of which I think they are probably eating.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 370
    We have goldfinches most of the year at the feeders, this is taken through the dining room double glazing.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 728
    At my folks place which is a farm they have huge numbers of Goldfinch visitors to the sunflower heart feeders. I couldn't get a single one to visit mine which were out for months on end. Changed to a nyger seed feeder and bingo they started visiting almost immediately. Worth a try for those folks not getting any visitors with their current offerings.  
    edited 13 June
    I think some Goldfinches are sunflower heart lovers and some love nyger seed ... it seems to vary from area to area.  

Ours also love the rudbeckia seed left on the plants late in the autumn.