Twisted hazel with no catkins

RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 120
So my grandma told me today her twisted hazel has had no catkins, just leaves. Does anyone know why this could be? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,932
    Has it had catkins in the past or is it a new plant?

The catkins are the male flowers. Does it have any of the tiny red female flowers?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • RubyLeafRubyLeaf Posts: 120
    Its a new plant only purchased late last year. There were no red flowers, and according to my grandma they had half of a catkin and it died within a day.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,932
    It’s just a baby. Give it time. It has a lot of growing up to do before it tries to make babies of its own.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    edited 16 May
    So this is normal? Thats good to know, thanks! FYI its roughly 3 feet plus.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,967
    That's small.  As PF says, give it time.
    The Vendée, France
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,131
    Just a thought, you haven't planted it in the shade have you.  Mine had stopped producing catkins because next doors tree had started to shade it.  I've now moved it and it's doing much better.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Millie Molly MandyMillie Molly Mandy Posts: 39
    I love these, another name for them is Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. We had one in America which grew very big. Wonderful twisted branches, fabulous garden interest, looks spectacular in the snow. When we came back to England we planted one in our back garden, they are very strong and do not need much attention. I am sure your grandmother's tree will do well, perhaps it is just getting used to its new environment.
    Just a thought, you haven't planted it in the shade have you.  Mine had stopped producing catkins because next doors tree had started to shade it.  I've now moved it and it's doing much better.
    No, where my Grandma has planted it, it gets full sun all day. Its in a big pot if that makes a difference, but its kept well watered.