How to resize an image

NoraGWNoraGW Posts: 455 admin

How to resize an image file

From here you will learn how to resize an image before you upload it to the forum, so that it can be posted within the forum's 6MB limit.

There are many websites which will assist you in resizing your image, but one of the easiest websites to do this with is simpleimageresizer.com (you may wish to save it as a bookmark to save looking it up if you post images regularly).

1. Head to simpleimageresizer.com.

2. Upload your image file by pressing the blue Select image button, circled in red:

2. Choose the percentage you'd like to decrease it by, by dragging the green square (circled) left or right:

3. Then, click the green Resize button (circled in the above picture).

4. Finally, click the green Download button (circled), inside the green banner:

Note: you will need to know the size of your image beforehand to determine how much you need to resize it by. For example, if it is 10MB, you can reduce it by 50% to make it 5MB, which is within the forum's 6MB limit. You can find out how large your image is by right-clicking it, and then viewing its 'Properties' or 'Info'. Judging by the sizes of most images which are uploaded to this forum, reducing it by 50% should be fine. You can always resize it again if it is still too big for the forum.

Aside from online resizers, there are other ways to resize your image:

1. By changing the settings on your camera so that it takes smaller files. You can check your camera's user guide for info on how to do this.

2. By taking a screen shot of your image, cropping it and then uploading the screen shot instead of the full size image. You can find out how to take a screen shot by checking your device's user guide.

3. Some devices allow you to compress images when emailing them to a size of your choosing. You can use this functionality to email your image to yourself, and then downloading the compressed file back on to your device.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,211
    6 MB is too big for me to be able to receive it. Still can't see most of the photos on the gallery and garden visits threads and can't join in much with the plant identifying threads. They were the threads I enjoyed most apart from the chat one. This is the only forum I have trouble with.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,967
    Slow service here too.  It takes so long to download most photos I give up or go and make coffee while I wait.
    The Vendée, France
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 15,146
    I'm at the other end of the spectrum. It takes so long to resize photos, I'm not going to bother posting any more.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,762
    edited 15 May
    It only takes a few seconds Hosta, you don’t need to download a new site, you can do it on your Windows. 
    perhaps Dove can show show you when she’s down. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,416
    edited 15 May
    Oh 'eck, it's years since I've done it ... my camera does it for me ... but we can give it a go  :)

Edited to say:   yes, I've just done it on my laptop ... I can still remember how  :D
    In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,762
    Just right click on the photo and select ‘Paint’ 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    edited 16 May
    So, do I have to open the photo, go to paint, (or whatever,) resize it, save it , go back to the forum , click on " add photo" go back into "pictures" and click the newly resized photo? And I have to do that with every photo I want to post??
    Sounds like far too much kerfuffle. I'm sure the forum will survive without my photos.
    Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,211

You can adjust your camera to take smaller photos in the first place.

As  Lyn says, it's really easy to downsize using Paint. I've just done a load of photos because small grandson found my camera and had changed things so that photos were around 8MB instead of under 2MB. There were loads of short movies of his walking feet!

• Claire57Claire57 South West Posts: 120
    I have found I can post photos easily by taking a screenshot of the photo I want to post and then add that. For some reason the screenshot is less MB than the actual photo?? Seems to work for me on any forum I use. Not sure if it works for everyone but worth a try? 
    I have no idea how to re-set my camera.
    Devon.