Salvia Amistad. Is it possible to take really early cuttings?

Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 15,152
I took about 10 cuttings last autumn but The Beast killed them all. 
New growth has now started and I was wondering if I could take some cuttings  as they grow?
Mt thinking was that , rather than pinching out the tips to make it bushier, if I cut back 3inch lengths I could get cuttings and a bushy Mummy plant.
Am I just being greedy?
Devon.

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 137
    I would say go for it. 
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,494
    I would say go for it as long as you have the right material.  Maybe keep them in pots and over winter in a cold frame and plant out next spring. 
    This year you could just pop the pots where you need the pop of purple 💜
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,023
    I've taken cuttings from one of my salvias a couple of weeks ago and they seem quite perky.
    My Amistad's are still battling for supremacy with the slugs/snails. Every new shoot has been nibbled, but the salivias seem to win in the end.
    Also took cuttings from penstemon spectabilis last week which are looking ok
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 151
    I have just taken cuttings from my Amistad this weekend, they are in the GH under a bench in case we get some hot sun, haha we have cold winds, heavy showers at the moment, but they look fine.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 15,152
    They've been in the polytunnel all winter so Mum is fine and dandy. I'll let the new shoots get a bit longer then go for it. 
    thanks all.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,770
    Can you take base cuttings rather than stem? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Lyn said:
    Can you take base cuttings rather than stem? 
    aw flip, don't complicate things Lyn. xx
    Devon.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,494
    If mum is a big mum you could just split into smaller plants. They don’t take long to get big and will do so for sure this year. I found just one plant got huge in its first year 
    Beaus Mum said:
    If mum is a big mum you could just split into smaller plants. They don’t take long to get big and will do so for sure this year. I found just one plant got huge in its first year 
    I only got it last year, so she's not that big.
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,328
    I nipped out the tips on some of mine yesterday [ in the greenhouse ]
    They are still very small though, so I don't think the tips would have been big enough for cuttings.
    When all the gay geezers got put inside And coloured kids was getting crucified
    A few fought back and a few folks died In the winter of '79