Another reason for dandelions

Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,387
I allow dandelions in the grass because the bees love them.. but it also means a forest of seed heads (or 'wishes', as my boys call them).  This year, for the first time, I've noticed the birds feeding on the seeds.  Every morning there is a pair of quail and usually a finch or two out there eating.  
Utah, USA.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,438
    I spent half the afternoon forking them out of the veg patch.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 512
    Brimstones will nectar on them if they're out early enough.
  • wild edgeswild edges The bottom of Wales (literally)Posts: 399
    The finches in my garden like to snack on them while they wait for a turn on the feeders. Goldfinches, siskins, redpolls, sparrows, they all eat them. I've even seen voles running off with a gob full when the heads have been touching the ground.

I've also seen the goldfinches taking seed from selfheal, coltsfoot and lavender as well as the usual thistle species. There's more to feeding wildlife than just flowers. 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,981
    I let them flower for the bees but deadhead them. I would be awash with dandelions if I left them to it.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,387
    I know.. I'm "awash" with them..  :/
    Utah, USA.
  • debs64debs64 Posts: 494
    I have a tortoise who loves them so I blow the seed into his outdoor enclosure 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 1,951
    My hens love to peck the leaves of the ones that come up between the flags. And I love watching the goldfinches eating the seeds, going along methodically, and even saw one swinging on a dandelion 'clock' as it picked off the seeds :)
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 895
    Please will someone tell the goldfinches that come to my feeders that dandelion seeds are tasty and nutritious.  One of my fellow park volunteers has tortoises, and always takes home a fistful of danglelions for them.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 1,720
    Rabbits love them too.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,225
    send the tortoises and birds this way, my neighbours garden only contains weeds, lots of dandilions.  I know rabbits love them, remember from when I was a kid.  I happened to walk out ot the house with my neighbour recently, and asked if they had thought about getting a rabbit, I dont think they realised what I was meaning!